This is it friends. This is THE best popcorn *ever*.
After making and eating and telling Scott all about this popcorn for the third day in the row he finally said to me, why don’t you just share this on the blog?
After all, everyone has seen me share this hundreds of times on snapchat and I must have told all of my work friends and family that I found the key to the best popcorn ever. SO, thanks to Scott, here we are.
I’ve recently become obsessed with homemade popcorn, probably because that microwavable bagged stuff tastes like it causes heart attacks. Eat that and you’re like “sureeeee I’ll have some butter and grease with a side of popcorn”.
Let’s also not forget to mention that a container of kernels cost less and lasts longer than one box of the bagged stuff. Between my late night snack or something to munch on during movie night, I’ve made this SEVERAL times in the last few months. Each time kept getting better and better and finally I found the perfect mix of ingredients. Drum roll please.
Coconut oil, garlic sea salt, Old Bay seasoning, grated Parmesan cheese, and avocado oil IN THAT ORDER.
…and the kernels of course but you knew that.
So what makes this so special?
The kernels get cooked in the coconut oil which is not only natural and amazingly healthy, but gives the popcorn a subtle hint of coconut and sweetness. Yum.
It then gets tossed in a combination of garlic sea salt and Old Bay to give it the garlicky, perfectly salted, and slight bite of heat. I use this combination with everything by the way.
Then it gets a generous sprinkle of finely grated Parmesan cheese which sneaks its way to the bottom of the bowl and hides between the pockets of the popcorn. Add cheese on top of anything and it’ll knock it out the park I mean really.
Then it gets a drizzle of avocado oil mocking the buttery coating we crave when we eat popcorn, but guess what? IT’S NOT BUTTER! I started out using grapeseed oil and when I went to the store to get more I came across the avo oil and it allllll made sense. I mean, in baking we can substitute avocado for butter so let’s just start pretending it is butter, right?
I’m not going to give you the exact amount of seasonings to use in the recipe because I want to leave that up to you. Just keep adding a little and taste as you go until you come across some irresistible popcorn. PUHLEASE add all of these ingredients to your next grocery list. Enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons popcorn kernels
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Old Bay seasoning as needed
- Garlic sea salt as needed
- 1 tablespoon finely grated Parmesan cheese (or more if desired)
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil (or more if desired)
- Needed: small pot with lid
- Melt the coconut oil in a small pot over medium heat. Add the popcorn kernels.
- Cover the pan leaving the lid slightly ajar. Cook for 2-3 minutes, shaking the pot often, until the popcorn kernels are completely popped. This will get noisy!
- Transfer half of the popcorn to a bowl, season with Old Bay and garlic sea salt as desired, then repeat with the remaining popcorn. Sprinkle the bowl evenly with Parmesan cheese as desired.
- Once taste is achieved, drizzle with avocado oil.
- *You can also use shredded Parmesan cheese or you can add the shredded cheese to a food processor or blender to get it finely grated.
- *You can also use grapeseed oil, but avo oil is healthier.
- *You can sprinkle the oil on the popcorn first, then season to make the seasonings stick better. I'm just weird and do it the other way around.