Crunchy, chewy, salty, rich, chocolaty, nutty.
Sounds like Paradise to me.
Mom has been making these treats for as long as I can remember and every time I bite into one it brings me back. These are special for so many reasons, one being they only take TEN minutes to make.
Let’s also not forget how minimal the ingredients are. These paradise bars are divine and never disappoint. Whether you need to make a sweet treat for your holiday dinner, office party, or just because you need something chocolate laying around the house (tis’ the season), these are for you. Breaking it down for you because really it doesn’t even need a recipe.
The base of these bars are soda crackers. My mom always used Saltines but I’ve also seen recipes with Ritz crackers. You make the call! A 9×13″ baking sheet holds 24-26 crackers, which will feed 10-12 people. With all the desserts we have I find one batch is plenty for my family. After the crackers are all lined up, melt two sticks of butter and one cup of brown sugar together until a caramel toffee-like sauce forms. That gets evenly poured over the crackers then goes into the oven for a quick three minutes.
When the crackers come out of the oven the “toffee” will be bubbly and piping hot. That’s when you immediately sprinkle over a cup of chocolate chips. I like to use half dark and half semi-sweet, but again you call the shots! The chocolate instantly become soft and melty, just use a rubber spatula to help it melt faster and cover the crackers. Can I just say watching chocolate melt before your eyes is comforting.
After the chocolate is melted and covering the surface, top it with WHATEVER YOU WANT. My mom has always kept it simple with chopped pecans but you can add anything likkkkeeee coconut, butterscotch chips, toasted almonds, MINI MARSHMALLOWS (omg), dried fruit, candied orange peel, peanut butter chips, hazelnuts, you get where I’m going with this.
After it’s been topped it gets popped in the fridge until hard, which really only takes about thirty minutes. Make this the day before and all you have to do is cut it into pieces the day of the party!
I don’t know how delicious can get any easier. This is one of those “I’m going to look for every excuse to go in the kitchen so I can walk out with another piece” type treats. You’re going to LOVE this. Enjoy!
- 30 saltine crackers (almost one sleeve)
- 1 cup unsalted butter (two sticks)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I use half dark, half semi-sweet)
- 1/2 cup crushed nuts (pecans, almonds, etc.)
- Shredded coconut flakes
- Butterscotch chips
- Preheat the oven to 375
- Lay parchment paper in a 9x13" baking dish. Add the saltine crackers in one layer to the bottom of the dish for the crust. Mine held 6 rows of 4.
- In a small saucepan melt the butter. Add the brown sugar, mix, and bring to a gentle boil for 2 minutes. Immediately pour over the crackers evenly.
- Place in the oven 3-4 minutes or until bubbly.
- Evenly sprinkle over the chocolate chips. Use a spatula to spread the melted chocolate over the crackers. Top with nuts, shredded coconut, or topping of choice.
- Chill until hard, about 15-20 minutes or overnight (I made mine the day before serving!)
- Cut into pieces with a knife or using your hands.
- This makes about 30 pieces of paradise candy, which can serve 10-15 people. I make two batches for the holiday.